Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Lentil Chili
1 tablespoon olive or other vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups water or vegetable broth
1 25–28-ounce jar plain tomato-based pasta sauce
2 cups lentils
4 carrots, diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Optional toppings: plain Greek yogurt, avocado slices, grated cheese
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add oil and diced onion. Sauté for about 3
2. Add garlic (or garlic powder), chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne (if
using), and salt. Cook for about 2 more minutes.
3. Add water or vegetable broth and pasta sauce. Stir in lentils and carrots.
4. Turn up the heat to high, bringing to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to
medium low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, add cubed sweet potatoes and black beans, and simmer
on medium-low for 40 to 50 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add
extra water or broth to thin, if needed.
6. Garnish with desired toppings. Serve and enjoy.